Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Brake Control
Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Brake Control
The items we have listed for pop up campers are the only items we have available. We are not able to special order any items at this time, and we are unable to provide technical assistance due to high order volume. Thank you for your understanding.
The Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy Proportional RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles operates via radio frequency for simple transfer between multiple cars or trucks. Includes automatic-leveling sensor, boost feature, portable remote and continuous diagnostics. Compatible with multiplex wiring systems.
- Brake controller activates trailer brakes in proportion to your vehicle's braking action
- Automatically adjusts trailer's braking based on deceleration of tow vehicle
- Activates immediately - no pausing like with time-delayed brake controllers
- Wireless system is perfect for shared trailers and business fleets
- Remote control lets you operate trailer-mounted power module from cab of any vehicle
- Automatic-leveling ability - internal sensor detects deceleration even if controller is not mounted flat
- Position within ± 5 degrees of level in the vertical plane
- 3 Boost levels let you adjust initial braking power and aggressiveness
- Continuous diagnostic check alerts you to any potential problems
- Integrated safeguards protect your vehicle and trailer
- Minimizes drain on car battery when not in use
- Prevents trailer brakes from overheating by reducing power output to them during prolonged stops
- Digital display on remote is easy to read
- Manual override button is built into remote
- No hardwiring necessary for installation
- 7-Pole connector (sold separately) on trailer plugs into 7-way socket on rear of power module
- Wire lead on power module plugs into tow vehicle's 7-way connector
- Connector on your vehicle must have an active 12V (hot) lead
- Remote control plugs into standard 12V accessory outlet in cab
- Compatible with tow vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems
- Application: trailers with up to 3 axles (6 brake assemblies)
- Power module dimensions: 12-9/16" long x 8-5/8" wide x 6-1/4" tall
- Frequency: 3.2 GHz
- Mounting: above or on the side of your trailer's frame rail, within ± 5 degrees of level in the vertical plane
- Power module: 15-year limited
- Power lead: 1-year limited
- Remote: 5-year limited
Note: Vehicles with LED tail lights may not supply enough voltage for pairing. May use another truck or SUV to pair receiver and transmitter. Please also note that the Prodigy RF can not be submerged or immersed in water.
Prop. 65 Warning for California Residents
WARNING: This product may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
With a proportional brake controller, you can get heavy-duty emergency braking, general braking or slow-to-an-idle braking for your trailer automatically. The intensity with which your trailer brakes are activated and the rate at which they are applied are dependent on the deceleration of your tow vehicle. This means that, unlike time-delay controllers - which send the same amount of preset power to your trailer brakes every time - proportional controllers are able to adapt to every braking situation differently. So, if you slam on the brakes in your truck, your trailer brakes will activate with that same extreme intensity. And if you merely slow down as you approach a red light, your trailer will gradually brake in the same manner. Just set the initial power level, select a boost setting, and you're good to go.
As long as the Prodigy RF controller is mounted correctly, it will sense - via an internal inertia sensor - how your tow vehicle brakes. This inertia-based sensor responds to the deceleration of your tow vehicle as you brake by signaling the controller to send out enough power to your trailer brakes so that they are activated with an intensity that matches. The result is uniform braking across your towing setup. No push-pull action - just smooth, proportional braking every time.
Wireless, Radio Frequency Transmission for Portability
The Prodigy RF is perfect for anyone who has multiple tow vehicles. There's no hardwiring necessary. Just plug the 7-way lead on the control module into your vehicle's 7-way connector and plug the 7-way on your trailer into the port at the rear of the RF so that the braking signal can be transmitted from your vehicle to your trailer. Then plug the remote into your vehicle's standard 12-volt accessory outlet and use it to control the module wirelessly.
Because you don't have to wire the Prodigy RF to your vehicle, the trailer that you mount the module to can be easily shared among multiple tow vehicles. As long as your vehicle has a 7-way connector, you can use the Prodigy RF. This system is also compatible with vehicles that have multiplex wiring systems precisely because it does not wire into your vehicle.
Power Boost for Heavy-Duty Towing
Aside from smoother, more efficient braking, Tekonsha's Prodigy RF brake controller also offers a boost feature that gives you more initial braking power for those times when you're towing heavy loads. You can switch boost levels so that the power output to your trailer brakes automatically starts out at either 13 percent or 25 percent of the predetermined power setting.
So, if you boost the initial power so that your trailer brakes activate with 25 percent of the overall intensity at the start, the brakes will reach maximum braking faster. This is particularly beneficial if you are towing a heavy load because the intensity required to stop that load may be far greater than that needed to halt your vehicle. Therefore, sending out more initial power to the trailer brakes - and causing them to reach maximum braking faster - allows you to better control the trailer so that it doesn't push your tow vehicle before coming to a complete stop.
If your trailer weighs less than your tow vehicle, no boost is needed. But if you wish to set the boost so that your trailer leads the braking of your towing setup, you can select level B1. The following table gives an indication of when you might use the different boost levels and the power increases that they offer.
The Prodigy RF offers advanced safety features to prevent damage to various components of your towing setup. In addition to basic troubleshooting, this controller works to prevent problems before they begin. When the Prodigy RF is not in use, it will be in power-saving mode. If there has been no activity for 2 hours, then the system will go into sleep mode. Both of these modes are designed to drop the power draw, minimizing drain on your vehicle's battery.
When you stop at red lights, or any time that your truck and trailer are at a standstill with the brakes applied for more than 5 seconds, the Prodigy's "hold" feature will activate. When this happens, the power output to your trailer's brakes will be reduced to just 25 percent of the preset power setting so that the brakes will not overheat.
If ever there is a time that you need to brake your trailer separately from your tow vehicle - when traveling down a steep incline, for example - the manual override button is easily accessible on the remote control. Pushing this button engages the brakes on your trailer with full power. In addition, when you activate this override, the brake lights on your trailer will illuminate, properly warning those behind you of the braking action of your rig.
In addition to all of those safety features listed above, the RF offers diagnostics such as:
- Open ground
- Output short
- Power loss
- No trailer connection
The self-leveling feature of the Prodigy RF ensures that the brake controller continues to function even as you drive up steep hills or through the mountains. Simply mount the power module, which contains the inertia sensor, on your trailer tongue or frame as indicated. Some drilling may be required.